The castle possess 1729 historical items (in museum terminology – collection items) which makes 12,83 % of the total number of all collection items?
The historical library includes 14 312 books and we would need 286 m long shelf to store all the books?
The largest carpet from the museum collection has 44,12 m2 and it covers an area of the average two-rooms apartment?
In the year of our Lord 1751, a monk entered the Chapel beneath Red Stone? There were no doors even it had been standing for almost 6 years. At first, he seemed to be a simple monk – hermit. But the way he analyzed the unrendered altar was a signal that this poor God´s servant was accustomed to the higher standard. more:::.
The year 1961 was bad not only for the Burial Chapel itself but also for 13 members of the Palfi family buried inside? Sarcophagi with bodily remains placed within walls were pulled out of holes in May. Small coffin with a newborn baby was completely crushed. The other ones were broken as the offenders tried to get inside. Did they look for gold or jewellery? more:::.
Red Stone Castle should be originally situated at the different mountain of the Small Carpathians than it is today? In the 13th century Queen Konstancia had chosen a suitable area for its construction. It was the Mount Kukla, the large watcher of a valley situated in the Small Carpathians. The name of brook which flows through this area is Gidra. After digging out a basement and bringing building material very strange things started to happen. Some parts of a building already constructed in one day, were the following day replaced over the valley to the opposite mount. more:::.
A fish pond - nursery used to be at Red Stone? In 1535, both the castle and estate were purchased by the rich business family from the south-German town of Augsburg. Family members were very active in gaining a profit. Therefore, a new renaissance fortress was built in a big style at the place of gradually demolished old medieval castle. The primary goal of the family was a maximum economic independence of the estate. They established new manors, settled down dilapidated estates……built a system of fish ponds. more:::.
History of the museum has begun soon after the last castle owner left abroad. Karol Palfi moved to Austria together with his mother on March 1945. Documents show they left before the arrival of the Red Army troops.
During the First Republic the castle was regarded as an object of a great historic value. Since the beginning of the 20th century, a part of dwelling premises used to be open for visitors interested in exploring the castle. They were usually accessible on Sundays or holiday. However, some private rooms stayed closed against entry.
After the Second World War, premises were kept under control of the National Cultural Commission established in 1946. The Commission focused on gathering pieces of art works, objects in use, furnishing, historical libraries and archives of abandoned nobility estates.
Confiscated furniture torsos of other nobility estates, originated from the district of West Slovakia, gradually accumulated within the premises of Red Stone Castle. Necessary castle repair works had started simultaneously.
On 22nd October 1949 the castle was opened to enter the public and thereafter proclaimed a national cultural estate together with another 13 premises.
During a certain period of time, valuable art objects from 31 castles and 2 cloisters had been brought together and formed a base of the castle collection. To keep the museum serviceability running, numerous castle reconstructions had been done in the first phase (up to 1960). At the same time, restoration works of the castle collection were aimed especially on pieces of furniture and paintings.
In 1960 Red Stone Castle was formerly possessed by the State and later passed into the hands of the Regional Council in Bratislava. In 1967 the museum changed its name as the Western-Slovak Art-Industrial Museum of Red Stone. This step confirmed the stable position of the castle and museum with its unique collections.
Statute of the museum changed in 1970 again. The museum gained a worldwide scope under the name of Red Stone Museum specialized in life and interior designs of nobility.
In 1970 the castle was declared a national cultural monument.
As the castle statics gradually grew worse, an overall reconstruction of the building and adjacent area was needed. The working process began in 1978 together with renovation of monuments.
The reconstruction works finished in 1998.
From 1979 until now (with short break), Red Stone Museum has been a part of the Slovak National Museum or rather one of its specialized organs with any change of its focus.
The last part of the museum exposition was opened in 1997 and displayed the culture of furnishing of aristocratic premises.
The museum regularly lends collections for exhibitions taking place both at home and abroad. The exhibition is still available for visitors within the castle and front yards. At the same time it goes through various reconstruction and restoration works.