The castle possess 1729 historical items (in museum terminology – collection items) which makes 12,83 % of the total number of all collection items?
The historical library includes 14 312 books and we would need 286 m long shelf to store all the books?
The largest carpet from the museum collection has 44,12 m2 and it covers an area of the average two-rooms apartment?
In the year of our Lord 1751, a monk entered the Chapel beneath Red Stone? There were no doors even it had been standing for almost 6 years. At first, he seemed to be a simple monk – hermit. But the way he analyzed the unrendered altar was a signal that this poor God´s servant was accustomed to the higher standard. more:::.
The year 1961 was bad not only for the Burial Chapel itself but also for 13 members of the Palfi family buried inside? Sarcophagi with bodily remains placed within walls were pulled out of holes in May. Small coffin with a newborn baby was completely crushed. The other ones were broken as the offenders tried to get inside. Did they look for gold or jewellery? more:::.
Red Stone Castle should be originally situated at the different mountain of the Small Carpathians than it is today? In the 13th century Queen Konstancia had chosen a suitable area for its construction. It was the Mount Kukla, the large watcher of a valley situated in the Small Carpathians. The name of brook which flows through this area is Gidra. After digging out a basement and bringing building material very strange things started to happen. Some parts of a building already constructed in one day, were the following day replaced over the valley to the opposite mount. more:::.
A fish pond - nursery used to be at Red Stone? In 1535, both the castle and estate were purchased by the rich business family from the south-German town of Augsburg. Family members were very active in gaining a profit. Therefore, a new renaissance fortress was built in a big style at the place of gradually demolished old medieval castle. The primary goal of the family was a maximum economic independence of the estate. They established new manors, settled down dilapidated estates……built a system of fish ponds. more:::.
The first mention of Red Stone Castle was in the first half of the 13th century. The castle was built at a request of Queen Konstancia Uhorska, the widow of the Czech king, on her own land before 1240. At the same time the castle got the name – Red Stone (Cerveny Kamen in Slovak, Rothenstein in German, Vorosko in Hungarian) or Beaver Castle.
The castle was originally held by the Crown and later passed into the ownership of Matus Cak Trenciansky and a number of families including Zapolski, Turzo and the counts of Svaty Jur and Pezinok.
According to the heirship the castle and estate passed from the hands of Queen Maria Habsburg, the wife of the Austria-Hungarian King Ludovit II Jagel to the Fugger family.
Despite the fact, the two noble families played the most significant role in the history of the castle. It was the German family of Fugger and the Austria-Hungarian family of Palfi.
The Fugger family obtained the castle from the previous owner and business partner, the Turzo family. This was how the red-stone estate and the gothic castle became a property (year 1535) of one of the richest business families of former Europe.
Anton Fugger, the head of the family, was not only educated but also rich, capable businessman coming from the South-German town of Ausburg. He decided to utilize the strategic position of Red Stone, situated close to Bratislava and Vienna and transform the old gothic castle into a safe storehouse for goods traded across the whole Europe. Rebuilding the medieval castle into the renaissance fortress required an investment of a lot of money and time. Since 1537 the castle was gradually demolished as to clear an area for construction of four defensive bastions connected with walls and a single residential wing. This is how the modern renaissance fortress was constructed according to the modern knowledge of contemporary architecture. It was adapted for an effective protection of everything hidden in spacious storerooms (cells).
Business plans of the Fugger family in this part of Europe grew gradually weaker. The reason was an increasing danger of Turks´ attacks. Therefore they decided to sell the castle.
Many buyers were interested in purchasing the castle but only one could be the winner. In 1588, the young Baron Mikulas II Palfi finally became the owner of the whole estate (also won a heart of young women Maria Magdalena Fugger, the daughter of Marek Fugger and the grandchild of already mentioned Anton Fugger). Descendants of Mikulas and Maria took a hold over the estate until 1945.
Many castle reconstructions had been done by the Palfi family. In the 16th century Mikulas II Palfi converted the Fugger fortress into dwelling premises. After one century, Mikulas IV Palfi together with his wife Maria Eleonora Harrach rebuilt the castle in an early baroque style. Further modernization and enlargement of the castle were carried out by Rudolf Palfi and his wife Maria Eleonora Kaunitz - Rietberg (the second half of the 18th century).
The next centuries did not bring any significant changes in a shape and outward aspect of the castle.
The last owner of Palfi family left in 1945. Thereafter, the castle was proclaimed a national cultural property.